Wednesday, May 12, 2010

New Digs

Lucky for me VSO managed to coordinate my replacement volunteer before I left. Kirsteen joined me in Gatura a week before my scheduled departure so I had a chance to show her the ropes and pass my unfinished projects on to her. It was perfect for all involved. Kirsteen got to be gradually eased into her new position, Francis got to make the transition of having someone new in the office before I was gone, and I got the peace of mind that comes with trusting the capabilities of your successor.

It was a typical crazy hectic work week and I found myself wishing Kirsteen had been with me all along so we could have gotten twice as much accomplished. There is so much untapped potential still remaining at GKHBC that it is very hard for me to walk away from this project after only 6 months. But it helps knowing Kirsteen will be there to continue the work (and keep me posted through e-mail).

But there is absolutely never a dull moment at GKHBC and on Kirsteen’s first day Francis decided that we needed to move the office to a new location...by the end of the week. The landlord had locked us out of our toilets (again) and Francis had enough. I completely agree with his decision to find a new space as we had several issues with that landlord but I was a bit nervous that he promised the landlord we would be out within the week. We talked him out of a completely new town and convinced him that any office involving a new landlord would do the trick. We then spent a good chunk of time that last week looking for offices and found one on Friday that we liked and had cheaper rent than our current office.

I needed to do an exit interview with VSO Monday morning and Kirsteen would be moving all her things from Nairobi that same day so we had made plans to meet up with some other volunteers over the weekend in Nairobi so we left town not knowing what exactly we would come home to.

Francis kept Kirsteen and I updated with texts during the weekend and when we arrived at work on Monday afternoon we had a new office complete with a new desk and room divider Francis had built and a sign that had been painted on the wall outside. He is a whirlwind of activity and there is no possible way to keep up with him. Fortunately one of my last tasks was to hire a new office manager who started the day I left. Between her and Kirsteen they should be able to keep tabs on the frenzy of action that is Francis and keep him somewhat in check. GKHBC could never exist without his incredible energy and it continually amazes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment