Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Gatura

I don't think I've really ever posted any photos of Gatura on this blog so heere's a tour of my tiny town!

Gatura is the biggest town around but it only has a population of around 6,000. However, the community is mostly comprised of farmers so it feels much smaller as most people live in the country. The town really comes to life on market days as it is the biggest town for several miles around so other villages come to Gatura to do their shopping.





Above you can see the local car wash and me and Francis cruisin the strip :) The "town" portion of Gatura basically consists of one section of one street (pictured below). Although it's a local hub Gatura is not a path to anywhere. The road turns to gravel just past our office so to get anywhere you have to first take the 45 minute matatu ride to Thika, the nearest real city. Gatura is located between Nairobi and Mount Kenya map.

Gatura is at 5,488 feet so you can definitely feel the altitude which may explain why I didn't totally destroy myself in the 10k I ran 3 days after arriving home. The surrounding countryside is all tea farms. The tea is an incredible color of green all year round and it makes for a beautiful landscape.The photo just below is the type of house you will mostly find in town.


My last week in Gatura I think we saw 5 rainbows!

2 comments:

  1. My beautiful home place

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats the best review of gatura that i have ever seen.Thanx and welcome back!

    ReplyDelete