Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving

On this day of appreciation I'd like to remind everyone of some basic modern conveniences most of us take for granted. Please respond to my poll in the right hand column of the screen. Before I came to Kenya I thought I knew my answer to this question but after living without all three for a few weeks I've come to realize my priorities are slightly different than I had thought...Originally I thought the toilet would be top on my list but I think the refrigerator has proven itself to be the most valuable appliance for me. I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks!

15% of the world lives without running water

25% of the world lives with no fridge



42% of the world lives without flushing toilets

4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! We're having a great time but missing you and all the kids. After dinner, Bruce, Jim and I had a good conversation about football and government while the rest napped. What am I thankful for besides running water? You and our wonderful family. All my love, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin: I voted for water, though I do love toilets. I definitely see the value of a refrigerator. Dang. All of those things are SO important. But people are much more so. Love from here! Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. Are you getting enough to eat? Are you hungry? Do you get to run?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I would have pegged you for a toilet person for sure. I think I'm getting enough to eat. But I went to Nairobi this weekend and ate like a pig so maybe not. I was probably just overexcited at the availability of my 2 favorite food groups: cheese and ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete