Sunday, December 20, 2009

Nyambuni

Karibu nyambuni! Welcome to my home! I live in this small apartment complex. It is very posh by Gatura standards and my exact apartment houses a family of 5 next door so I feel a bit excessive but I didn't pick it so I'll just be happy I have such a nice place. Most of the homes I've been to in town are simply one room with no kitchen or bathroom and they can house a family of 6-8 so as you look at the photos you'll realize how snazzy mine is.



We start with my very secure metal front door with padlock. Everyone has this type of door and I must admit that it feels very secure. You enter directly into the living room where I have a full set of hand-made furniture. The chairs look comfy but when you sit you can definitely tell you are sitting on a wood chair. Apparently padding is not a big priority here because all the furniture I've sat on here is the same.

I spend a lot of time in here using the computer, reading, doing ultimate abs, listening to my neighbor's music/conversations, etc.




Next door is the kitchen where I prepare all my food from scratch. The water doesn't work in the kitchen sink that is why there is a camping water container on the counter. You'll also notice my lovely water filter that I use to filter all my water (after boiling it, of course). And then my little baby stove in the corner. This is another luxury as it is gas and most people here use a stove about this size that burns wood. Actually, they first burn the wood to make charcoals and then burn those in the stove. A lot of work...and a lot of trees.


And then the bathroom. The water works in here from time to time. There is no apparent schedule and I've been up to 2 weeks with no water so I always keep 2 jerry cans full of water just in case. If I need to do laundry or just go through them before the water comes back on a boy on a bicycle rides my empty cans down to the river and brings them back full. I'm still amazed he can do this as his bicycle looks like it's from the 20's and the river is at the bottom of a huge hill.


The water may not work all the time, it may be ice cold when it does work, and my aim may need a bit of work, but I'm thrilled to even have a bathroom as so many people here just have a hole outside. I'm still not totally clear on how they bathe but I'm envisioning some sort of sponge bath since there is no drain even to let the water run into.




And finally the bedroom! I made the mistake of buying a cheap mattress so the bed is like sleeping on a wood board but that was my bad. I'm considering buying a new mattress (they are actually just foam rolls like what you might use for camping) and doubling up to save my tailbone :)

Well, this is my home for 6 months and I love it!






No comments:

Post a Comment