Sunday, October 4, 2009

Big News

Dear Family and Friends,

So last most of you heard from me I was probably sitting around in Vancouver waiting for my permanent residency to come through so I could get a job. Well during those pleasant and leisurely 8 months while I was waiting for my legal status, I applied to a non-profit organization that accepts both US and Canadian citizens...perfect for me since I'm kind of both/neither. Then, after months of patiently waiting for something to happen, things started happening very quickly.

Timeline
  • About a month ago I found out I was accepted to the volunteer organization.
  • A few days later I received an offer for a position in Kenya.
  • Later that same week my permanent residency arrived in the mail.
  • The very next day I left for Ottawa to do 2 weeks of training for the volunteer position.
  • Later that same week I sit here writing to all of you...
  • to let you know that I'm leaving in 1 month (November 1st?)...
  • to spend 6 months in Kenya.
Everyone probably thinks I'm a little crazy to be leaving Canada 1 month after I finally got my permanent residency, but there never seems to be a great time to leave family and friends for 6 months so I'm just going with it. My friend JoAnn tells me my life is very serendipitous so I hope this opportunity is part of that serendipitous path.

I am very excited to start this next short but powerful chapter in my life. I'm sad to be leaving Stephen behind for so long but he is very supportive and has been encouraging me throughout the entire application and training process. I feel lucky to be with someone so willing to take the risks necessary to help each other realize our true potential both as individuals and as a couple.

I also feel badly for my poor mother who will have one daughter in Afghanistan and one daughter in Kenya (fortunately the good sons are still in the Midwest). Please be kind to Stephen and Rita while I'm gone. They need your support!

I've created 2 blog posts with more info. One describes the organization I'll be working for and the job I'll be doing and the other provides some info on the volunteer organization that coordinated this entire experience. Please let me know if there is anything you want to know more about. I've included safety info in the side bar for the worriers in the group and additional info on Kenya and the AIDS epidemic for the researchers.

I probably won't be able to write many personal e-mails during this time but please bookmark my blog so you can check in and see what I'm up to and be sure to post comments or write me e-mails so I know what you are up to.

Cheers,

Erin



1 comment:

  1. Erin:

    This is great! I am so happy that you have opened your heart to be of service to those who are less fortunate... I am quite familiar with Kenya, as I worked for many years with African refugees mainly from Sudan whom were in refugee camps in Kenya. Thank you for your labor of love!

    Mark and Mary

    ReplyDelete